This past Sunday I launched The Book Exchange forum. I've been thinking about doing a book exchange for our community for over a year now. I wasn't able to previously because it required a small start up fee, which I am thankfully able to take care of now. I did some looking around and I found that I could still bring my idea to life because I'd yet to find a completely free and interactive website to exchange books. Thus here we are - I decided to try my hand at creating one myself with The Book Exchange forum. I personally felt that for this purpose, a simple format was the best way to go. So I decided to embed a forum into Shelf Addiction instead of having to maintain another website. Plus, forums are easy to use and navigate.
The Book Exchange is open to everyone. This is the perfect outlet for those of us that are bibliophiles that collect a lot of books. We get books from publishers, from authors, as gifts, and we buy them ourselves. If you have books that you've either never read or read once that you'll probably never read again, this is a perfect outlet to exchange those books with other readers who want to read them. In exchange you'll receive books that you want to read also. The Book Exchange could become an awesome resource to exchange highly coveted ARCs as well.
This forum is a tool to connect bookish people that have books to exchange/swap. This forum is for 18+ only. This website is not responsible should you send a book to someone who does not reciprocate. Shelf Addiction has no recourse to go after anyone who has not kept their end of the exchange. While Shelf Addiction isn't able to assist you in getting your book(s), we will banned anyone who doesn't follow the rules. Shadiness is not welcome.
In addition to exchanging books, this is a great place to connect with other book loving people. Chat about upcoming book releases, author and book industry events, and other book related topics.
1. DO mention in your post the following:
Include photos of your books
Title, Author, and format (ie. Hardcover or Paperback)
The condition of the book (ie. New [never read], Like New, Good or Fair)
If your home is smoking or non-smoking.
If you have pets.
2. DO NOT exchange books in poor or bad condition. We all love books and expect to exchange books in good condition or better.
3. DO Keep your commitments. If you commit to exchanging books with someone please do that. IF you commit to mailing within 5 days - DO SO. This community will not work if everyone doesn't abide by the rules. This is a group that will survive and flourish with trustworthy members.
4. DO exchange email addresses. When you find someone who post a book that you'd like to exchange, comment on their post and list what you have available to exchange. Once you both agree, share email addresses and exchange your mailing addresses privately. DO NOT ever provide any credit card information, social security numbers, or any other personal information other than your name and mailing address.
5. DO pay the few extra dollars for shipping tracking and email that tracking number to the person you're exchanging with so that you both have proof of delivery.
**Anyone found to be in violation of these rules and not keeping up their end of the exchange will be banned.**